All You Need To Know About The Dallas BBQ Sticky Wings Recipe
I can’t forget the first time I had a taste of those sticky wings from Dallas BBQ. Unlike other BBQ chicken wings I have tasted, the ones from Dallas BBQ were very succulent. I can even remember licking off the sauce from my fingers because I ate the whole thing with my hands.
Ever since then, I have gained a constant craving for Dallas BBQ sticky wings. The problem is, I don’t always have the time to go down to the restaurant and wait to get served, especially when Dallas BBQ is usually a busy place.
Because of my constant craving for their sticky wings, I set out to try and create my own version right at my kitchen. After a couple of tries, I finally ended up with something that’s very similar to Dallas BBQ sticky wings.
If you too would like to cook a batch of yummy Dallas BBQ sticky wings, then I would like to encourage you to read on. This article will contain a simple guide on how to cook my made-from-scratch Dallas BBQ sticky wings recipe as well as a couple of tips on how you can add a twist to it to make it a little better.
Are you ready? Let’s get started!
Different Ways To Amp Up Your Sticky Wings
Before we get into how you can make you’re of Dallas BBQ sticky wings at home, let me first tell you about the different kinds of ingredients you can use to amp up your homemade sticky wings.
It’s important to know about these ingredients beforehand so that you would know whether you should include them in your recipe for later.
One ingredient you can add to your sticky wings for an extra twist is garlic. You can try adding in some toasted garlic right before you finish cooking or you can add some minced garlic to the sauce to add more spice to your wings.
I personally prefer adding in toasted garlic bits as toppings to the wings right after I add an extra glaze of sauce during plating.
2. Cayenne Pepper
To add an extra kick to your sticky wings, you can add a pinch or two of cayenne pepper. You can add cayenne pepper to your sticky wings’ sauce or you can rub it onto your chicken wings just before you bake them.
I have found that the spicy flavor of the cayenne pepper gets more incorporated to the dish when it is added to the sauce instead of using it as a rub on the chicken wings. So if you prefer to get a subtle spicy taste, you might be better of using it as a rub. Otherwise, you might as well add it to your sauce.
Add some freshly squeezed lemon juice or lemon slices to your sauce to get a fresh and tangy taste. If you don’t like strong tangy flavors, you can also try adding some lemon zest to your sticky wings by grating some lemon peels over your chicken after you glaze it with sauce.
4. Sesame Seeds
To turn your sticky wings into an oriental dish, try adding in some sesame seeds. You can add a couple teaspoons of sesame seeds to your sauce to get an even coating spread on your chicken wings or you can also try sprinkling bits of sesame seeds on top of your chicken wings just before serving.
How To Make Dallas BBQ Sticky Wings
Now to the fun part, cooking!
To make your own Dallas BBQ sticky wings, all you have to do is prepare these simple ingredients and follow these few steps:
First and foremost, you will need to prepare three sets of ingredients to create your rub, glaze, and egg wash. Take note that these ingredients will cover 3 lbs of chicken wings.
Chicken Wing Rub
To get that extra crispy chicken skin, you will need about 2 cups of flour. When preparing your flour, try to get rid of any built up lumps by sifting it. Doing so will ensure that your chicken wings will be completely coated once you dip it in your flour mix.
You will need about 3 tablespoons of powdered ginger to add more depth and spice to your sticky wings. You can easily get some powdered ginger from your local supermarket or farmer’s market.
- Black Pepper
Lastly, you will need about a tablespoon of ground black pepper. If you can, try to go with freshly cracked black pepper for added aroma and fresh flavors. Unlike store bought ground black pepper, freshly ground black pepper can offer a stronger aroma and flavor.
- Egg Wash
You will need to prepare an egg wash for your chicken wings to get completely coated with your flour mix. Your egg wash should consist of 2 whole eggs and 4 tablespoons of water. As you prepare your egg wash, simply whisk the eggs with the water until the yolks and the whites are thoroughly mixed.
To make a barbecue glaze that would make your sticky wings taste exactly like the one from Dallas BBQ, you will need to finely mince a clove of garlic. I you have the option to choose between large garlic cloves and small ones, I suggest you use two small garlic cloves instead. Why? Because smaller cloves pack more aroma.
- Cooking Oil
You will need one tablespoon of cooking oil to bring all the flavors of your glaze ingredients together. You can use any type of cooking oil you prefer. But if available, I suggest you go with vegetable oil for optimal results.
The main thing that makes sticky wings sticky, is honey. To make enough glaze for 3 pounds of chicken wings, you will need a cup of honey. If you don’t have honey yet, I suggest you get one that is completely organic and is free of any artificial sweeteners.
- BBQ Sauce
Last but not the least, you will need to get half a cup of high quality BBQ sauce. Any brand of BBQ sauce will do. Just make sure that the brand you are going with isn’t too sweet since we’re going to add honey to this sauce.
Step 1: Create The Flour Mix
- The first thing you have to do is mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. These ingredients include the flour, powdered ginger, salt, and pepper.
- Upon adding all these ingredients in a bowl, give it a good thorough mix. Make sure that every ingredient is well dispersed so that once you dip in your chicken wings, the wings will get covered with all of the flour mixes flavors.
Step 2: Prepare The Wings
- After preparing your flour mix, the next thing you need to do is prepare your chicken wings.
- Depending on your personal preference, you may cut up your chicken wings into two parts or keep them as a whole. If you have just cleansed your chicken wings by running them through water, pat them dry first with a clean paper towel.
- Once your chicken wings are all set, simply dip them in your flour mix (make sure that every part of your chicken wings is covered with flour) and then dip them in your egg wash, and dip it back in the flour mix for a thick and even coating.
Step 3: Cook The Wings
Step 4: Prepare The Glaze
- As you wait for your chicken wings to cook, you should begin preparing the glaze. To do so, place your minced garlic in a saucepan and saute it for a couple of seconds.
- Just before your minced garlic turns brown, add the honey and barbecue sauce to the saucepan. You may also add some salt and pepper to taste.
- Give these ingredients a good stir until all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed. After mixing, continue to simmer the glaze over low heat until the chicken wings get done.
Step 5: Glaze The Wings and Serve
- Once the chicken wings are golden brown, all that there is left to do is dip your chicken wings in the barbecue glaze. Make sure that every part of the chicken wing is covered with the sauce before you serve it on a plate.
The Bottom line
Dallas BBQ sticky wings are a great treat. Unlike any other type of chicken wings, they are very sweet, sticky, and crunchy at the same time.
If you want to make a batch of these sticky wings at home, remember that it only takes a couple of minutes to prepare and cook. Just don’t forget about the essential ingredients that you need for the flour mix and the glaze to get optimal results. Also keep in mind that you can always add a twist to this dish by adding in a couple of extra ingredients such as garlic, cayenne pepper, lemon, and sesame seeds.
If you have any questions about the article above, please don’t forget to leave your comment at the box below. I’ll try to get back to you as soon as I can. Thank you and happy cooking!