3 Best Carbon Steel Pans in 2022
A modern carbon steel pan is not only beautiful and functional but also a “smart” utensil that significantly reduces cooking time. Carbon steel is suitable for cooking thousands of different dishes and baby food. You will have to learn some basic characteristics to choose a carbon steel skillet that meets your expectations. Here are the main criteria to look for:
●Metal thickness. The walls must be at least 1.2 mm, and the bottom – at least 3 mm.
●Assembling quality. Check the bottom of the carbon steel pan and evaluate the reliability of the handles fastening – they must be firmly fixed.
●Smooth surface. The inner and upper surfaces must be smooth and free of scratches and stains.
●Bottom diameter. It must match the size of the burner, especially if you own an electric stove.
How to Choose a Good Long-Lasting Carbon Steel Pan: Top-3 Models
When selecting a manufacturer, pay attention to the credibility of the brand and warranty, as well as study the reviews of those who have already managed to evaluate its quality in practice. If you are still not using carbon steel pans for frying or searing, read this selection guide of the models and learn the secrets of proper use.
1)Black carbon steel skillet by Yosukata
The first on our list is the Yosukata carbon steel skillet which is the cookware invented by Asian culinary experts and tested by professional chefs around the world. This brand is famous for its care for the planet while providing a good selection of carbon steel pans with nonstick properties, which can be obtained after the process of seasoning. The company also claims that its products are so durable that they can be passed on to the generations and become a real family relic. Let’s have a closer look at the cookware by Yosukata:
- Size – Yosukata carbon steel pans are represented by 3 universal sizes suitable for different cooking surfaces. You can select between 7.9’’, 10.25’’, and 11.8’’diameters, depending on the purpose and the number of portions.
- Material – Yosukata carbon steel pans are made of 14 Gauge black carbon steel and contain 99% of Iron. The 6.7’’ long handle is made of acacia wood, which is stylish and durable.
- Weight – Depending on the size of the cookware you choose, it can weigh 1.6 lb (0.73 kg), 2.5 lb (1.13 kg), and 3.4 lb (1.54 kg).
- Cooking surface – This option is suitable for different cooking surfaces including gas, electric, ceramic, and induction cookers, and it can be used even on an open fire.
- Coating – The non-stick properties are naturally-obtained, and there are no harmful compounds released during cooking like in stainless steel pans.
- Price – The cost normally varies depending on the selected option and the available discount. For example, the normal price of the 7.9’’carbon steel skillet is $37.99, but now it is offered with a discount at a cost of $29.99.
The carbon steel pans offered by this brand are long-lasting and environmentally friendly, which is why they are widely represented in professional kitchens and in regular houses. This carbon steel skillet heats up very quickly, and it can be used for cooking various dishes – from the simplest ones like fried eggs to the most complex like meat steaks. That is why this cookware occupies the first position in our rating.
2)IKEA Vardagen carbon steel pan
IKEA is an extremely popular Scandinavian brand producing furniture, home accessories, bathroom, and kitchen utensils. While it provides “Scandinavian living” standards, this brand is also known for its democratic prices and optimal quality. There are many reasons why people select mass-market kitchen utensils by IKEA: their carbon steel pans are usually cheaper than those produced by specialized brands, while the quality remains good. Let’s have a look at the carbon steel pan by IKEA:
- Size – You can select between 4 carbon steel skillet sizes: 13 cm, 20 cm, 24 cm, and 28 cm. Each of them corresponds to the number of portions.
- Material – The whole carbon steel skillet is made of carbon steel, including the handle, which makes it possible to use it even in the oven.
- Weight – This cookware can also be of different weights, depending on the size. For example, the 24 cm carbon steel skillet weighs 1.62 kg.
- Cooking surface – This carbon steel pan is suitable for different cookers, including the induction ones. As it is completely made of iron, it can be used in the oven.
- Coating – Non-stick properties of carbon steel pans are obtained after seasoning. Before using the product for the first time – wash and process it. Learn how to season the product properly by reading the instructions on the website.
- Price – the price also depends on the selected size, but normally it costs from $19.99 up to $39.99 without delivery.
Finally, this is not a cast-iron pan, but a carbon steel skillet: the difference is in the percentage of alloy, so the properties are approximately the same, but carbon steel has a smoother surface. The carbon steel pan itself is quite heavy, and it is difficult to hold it with one hand. Before the first use, it is imperative to season it. Thus, a special oily film creates a coating between the steel and the food, preventing the food from sticking to the carbon steel pan. The longer you cook, the better this coating becomes. Overall, this is a decent item to have in your kitchen.
3)Mineral B carbon steel skillet by De Buyer
DE BUYER is a famous French manufacturer of kitchen utensils with a history of two hundred years. From the very first days, the company has positioned itself as a manufacturer of luxury cooking ware for haute cuisine. Kitchenware and inventory from DE BUYER belong to the premium segment, which is reflected in the final price of the product. However, the high quality and long service life justify the price. Here is a detailed overview of the Mineral B carbon steel skillet by De Buyer:
- Size – Carbon steel pans are represented in 6 possible sizes: 20, 24, 26, 28, 32, and 36 cm.
- Material – The whole item, including the handle, is made of quality carbon steel. The company especially emphasizes that all products are developed and manufactured exclusively by the French and only in France.
- Weight – Depending on the size, these skillets are made quite heavy, probably because of the steel thickness. For example, the 28 cm carbon steel skillet weighs 2.15 kg.
- Cooking surface – These skillets can be used for normal cooking on different surfaces, as well as can be put in the oven.
- Coating – Mineral B carbon steel pans are coated with natural beeswax, which should be washed away before the first use. Carbon steel itself does not have non-stick properties, however, during the first firing and subsequent frying, the oil contacts the steel, creating a natural non-stick coating that is sufficient for more or less comfortable cooking of most products with the addition of oil.
- Price – as these carbon steel pans belong to the premium segment, the cost of the smallest carbon steel skillet starts from $28 and can reach $68 for the biggest item.
Cookware from DE BUYER is a good solution for professional chefs and leading popular cooking shows. The dishes are designed for people who regard cooking as a creative activity. The manufacturer recommends washing carbon steel pans immediately after cooking without letting them cool down, under running hot water – this helps to preserve the film on the surface of the carbon steel pan.
1)How to remove a sticky coating on carbon steel pans that appears over time?
Without proper care, a sticky coating with grease may appear on the surface of the carbon steel pan. To remove it, you need to heat the dishes well, so that a drop of water on its surface instantly evaporates. Then remove the carbon steel pan from the heat and add a mixture of 2 tablespoons of salt and 1 tablespoon of oil and use a paper towel to treat the inner surface of the carbon steel skillet with this mixture. After the “scrub” dissolves the sticky film, it remains to rinse the dishes with hot water and dry thoroughly. Easy!
2)Why should I keep my carbon steel skillet away from water?
The worst enemy of carbon steel cookware is water. As a result of prolonged soaking and insufficient drying, rust appears on its surface. For this reason, such dishes are not left to soak, and before being put into the cabinet, they have to be thoroughly dried. Any remaining water should be soaked up with a paper or towel and then placed on the fire or in the oven and dried to get rid of any residual moisture. Traces of rust that appear on the dishes are removed with a sponge with an abrasive layer and then you will need to season them again.
3)How to season carbon steel pans?
You can restore the original state of carbon steel pans by seasoning them in the oven or on the stove. For the first method, preheat the oven to 200°C and put the skillet inside for 10 minutes. After the time has passed, remove the carbon steel pan from the oven and wipe it with a kitchen or paper towel dipped in vegetable oil. Line a baking sheet with foil and place it in the bottom of the oven. Turn the oiled bowl upside down and place it on a baking sheet. Leave it in the oven for 1 hour. Then turn off the oven and let the skillet cool down.
4)How to clean the carbon steel pans?
Soaps and detergents containing harsh chemicals should be kept away from carbon steel pans. Your best friend is warm water and a soft sponge. Dirty carbon steel pans are immersed in warm water and left for a couple of minutes. After that, the surface is cleaned with a sponge. The clean carbon steel pan must be wiped dry and covered with a thin layer of vegetable oil – and it is ready for the next fry.