- 10 lbs of tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon of citric acid
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut your tomatoes into small dices and place it in a saucepan with the 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Bring your tomatoes to a simmer and continue to cook until every piece becomes soft and all of the skins begin to peel. You’ll know you’re done simmering the tomatoes once the tomato skins are completely detached from the tomatoes.
- Push the simmered tomatoes through a food mill. Doing so will help you separate the seeds and skins from the essentials juices that are carried within the pulp.
- Add the sea salt and the citric acid into the juicy pulp.
- Prepare two rimmed baking sheets where you can spread the pulp you have gathered in two separate batches and place it in the oven until it gets reduced evenly.
- Once everything is taking into shape, you may want to combine both tomato paste on one baking sheet for easier cooking. You will know that you are done baking when the paste you have baked comes with a shiny and dark red color. At this time, there should be no more water left in the paste. It should be very thick and dense. To achieve such consistency you will have to bake the tomato pulp for about 3 up to 4 hours.
When you make the pulp inside your oven, you would have to constantly check the baking sheets and stir the tomatoes every 30 minutes or so to ensure even reducing.
Want to check out some tomato paste substitutes? https://warmchef.com/substitute-for-tomato-paste/
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Set of 2 Ball Citric Acid 7.5 oz. Jar
Weston Deluxe Electric Tomato Strainer
Bayco Glass Food Storage Containers with Lids, [24 Piece] Glass Meal Prep Containers, Airtight Glass Bento Boxes, BPA-Free
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack), Silver
Cuisinart Triple Rivet Collection 15-Piece Cutlery Block Set, White
Stainless Steel Food Mill FLOTTE LOTTE by GEFU
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 176 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 743mg Carbohydrates: 29g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 9g Sugar: 20g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 7g