Glass-top stoves’ sleek looks and ease of use have made them into popular choices in kitchens over the last couple of years. Although the debate on whether they are equal or better than gas stoves is still ongoing, the truth is that most home cooks will not notice a big difference in performance and will reap the benefits of glass-top stoves’ easy cleanup and maintenance.
You do need to keep one very important distinction between both types of stoves in mind: the cookware that you use in a gas stove may not be ideal for a glass-top. Pieces that are suitable for glass- top stoves should be free of rough surfaces that may scratch the glass and be made out of materials that do not hold high amounts of heat that will cause the stove’s sensors to shut it down. This means that cooking ware made out of materials with porous surfaces and that get really hot such as cast-iron skillets or ceramic pots are likelier to damage your stove cause problems while cooking.
Our top choice is an Amazon's choice product as well (Duxtop Whole-Clad Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Set) where Duxtop's Whole-clad Tri-Ply Stainless Steel construction eliminates hot spots and ensures even heat distribution along the bottom and side walls of the cookware.
Quick Comparison: Top Cookware Sets For Glass-Top Stoves
**Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Things to consider when shopping for cookware for glass-top stoves:
As a general rule, all cookware to be used with a glass-top stove should have a smooth surface that will not scratch the glass. Some of the best options are:
The heat-retaining properties of the pieces, however, is another important thing to look out for that most people are not aware of. Glass-top stoves have sensors built into them that identify when their surface becomes too hot and act to shut it down. A piece of cookware that retains a lot of heat such as a cast-iron pan will transfer some of that heat back to the stove and cause it to automatically shut down in order to prevent damage to the stoves components.
Make sure that your pieces fit the burner markings on your cooking top. Heat is transferred more efficiently when the bottom of the pan is similar to the outline of the burner. A good criterion is for the cookware size is not to exceed the burner markings by more than one inch. If the pan is oversized and extends beyond the burner by more than one inch, you can expect to have cold spots in the cooking process.
3. Bottom Shape
Pieces with uneven bottoms can damage the glass on your stove. Cookware with flat, heavy bottoms will ensure that heat will be properly transferred and evenly distributed while increasing efficiency and decreasing cooking time.
Why Glass-Top Stoves Require Special Cookware?
Usually, the pots and pans suitable for a glass top stove have a heavy bottom. The reason why they are so heavy at the bottom is to stay stable on the surface and to conserve energy.
They should have a smooth bottom surface, so they don’t scratch or crack the glass top stove with regular use – this is a must for a glass top stove.
Using these pots and pans will ensure that you won’t have trouble with cleaning the surface of your glass stove top. They won’t leave behind soot or scratches that will make it more difficult to keep your glass stove top clean.
Our Picks for the Best Cookware Sets For Glass-Top Stoves:
[su_note note_color="7BC143" text_color="#333333" radius="3" class=""]
- T-fal C530SC Cookware Set (For Beginners)
- Cook N Home 15 Piece Non stick Black Soft handle Cookware Set (Affordable)
- Rachael Ray Nonstick Cookware Set (Mid-Range Price)
- Cuisinart 77-11G Stainless Cookware Set (Long-Lasting)
- Simply Calphalon Nonstick Cookware Set (Good Quality)
- Cuisinart Multiclad Pro Stainless Steel 12-Piece Cookware Set (Dishwasher-Safe)
- Anolon Advanced Bronze Hard Anodized Nonstick 11-Piece Cookware Set (Suitable for Stove Tops)
- Duxtop Whole-Clad Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Cookware Set (Comes With a Lifetime Warranty)[/su_note]
This set is one of the highest-recommended ones for glass stove-tops. It's made out of heavy-gage aluminum for even heating and all pieces include a Thermo-spot indicator that lets you know when your pans are pre-heated and ready for cooking.
Handles are heat resistant and all pieces can be used in an oven at temperatures of up to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, making this set a great option for cooks who like to tinker and experiment in the kitchen.
Both the interior and the exterior are non-stick and the entire set is dishwasher-safe.
- T-fal thermo-spot heat indicator
- Non-stick surface
- High quality
- All elements are stainless
- All pieces are made out of steel, so you can use them in the oven
- Durable glass lids
- Great price
- Even heat distribution
- Heavy weight, very sturdy
- Heat-resistant handles
- Take good care of them to prevent them from discoloring
- They might take some time heating up
The first thing I noticed right out of the box are the tempered glass lids. I preferred these over the regular ones since I was able to see the food right through them. Every piece is covered in a non-stick coating, so cleaning was quite easy. I also tried washing the pots in the dishwasher and had no problems at all.
The material used in the construction of this set is heavy gauge aluminum, so heat conduction was pretty good. The handles are made out of anti-slip silicone, very comfortable to hold and managed to stay cool.
- Good price
- Quality build
- Coating is very easy to clean, can be cleaned with just some soap and water
- Dishwasher safe
- Non-stick coating can be prone to damage
This set is definitely the most eye-catching one we reviewed and its bright color is a welcome departure from basic black or silver cookware.
The weight is just perfect: not so light that the pieces won't perform well but not so heavy that it will make handling difficult.
Parts are built with aluminum and enameled porcelain and the cooking surface is treated with a PFOA-free non-stick coating. Rubberized handles are oven safe at up to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lids are made with shatter-resistance glass for durability.
- Gorgeous color
- Easy to clean
- The outside color can fade and scratch over time
- Some users had issues with the durability of the non-stick coaiting
The Cuisinart 77-11G Stainless Steel cookware sets gives you the look and feel of professional kitchen wear without the price tag.
Durability is guaranteed with a stainless steel and aluminum surface that won't scratch, peel off or react with food.
The set includes one non-stick skillet that will be perfect for jobs such as cooking eggs, pancakes and fish.
There's no need to use extra handle grips or kitchen towels thanks to a Cool Grip handle that stays cool while cooking.
All pieces in the set are dishwasher safe.
- Easy to clean
- Dip-free rims
- Oven safe
- Quality lids
- Cool - touch handles
- They take some time to heat up
- The surfaces can be prone to becoming stained
Calphalon has a right to brag about its nonstick coating formula. It really does its work in preventing food from sticking to the surface of the pots. With a hard-anodized aluminum construction, the heating was fast and even.
This set might be ideal for you cooking enthusiasts out there, it’s durability and performance are solid, and the construction can’t be beaten. Even though it is solidly-built, it’s not that heavy.
Handles are made out of silicone which proved to be comfortable for use. It passed the oven test, so you can use it in the oven as well. It’s not dishwasher-safe though but should be no trouble to wash by hand.
Included in the box: 8-in. Omelet Pan, 10-in. Omelet Pan, 1.5-qt. Sauce Pan with cover 2.5-qt. Sauce Pan with cover, 3-qt. Sauté pan with cover 6-qt. Stockpot with cover.
- Stellar non-stick coating
- Oven safe
- Good quality
- Good price
- Not dishwasher safe
- Some people might find this a little too light for their preferences
Cuisinart sets the bar high with this beautiful set of 12 pieces of cookware. You get different sizes of saucepans, sauté pans, skillets and a stockpot that comes with a steamer insert. These are built to last with their Tri-Ply Construction and aluminum core. The exterior is made from brushed stainless steel to retain their shine for a longer time.
The handles stay cool to the top and it features self-blasting lids that fit all the pieces perfectly. Heat is retained easily and evenly, thereby eliminating and avoiding hot spots. You can stick them in the oven for as high as 550 degrees Fahrenheit.
- This set has more pieces than other sets out there. It is a good choice if you are moving in a home and just starting with equipping your kitchen.
- All are completely dishwasher-safe. Even the covers can be safely washed in the dishwasher.
- The pouring rims are drip-free.
- You get moist food all the time, because of how well the cover seals all the moisture in.
- They can be used in the oven.
- These cookware pieces are built to last.
- They can still stain but the staining shouldn’t be hard to remove.
Make a style statement in your kitchen with this cookware set that features bronze exterior. It is as durable as it is beautiful, thanks to its hard-anodized construction. This type of material and construction render it two times harder than your standard stainless steel. The set includes everything you might need to be functional in the kitchen such as different sizes of saucepans, a stockpot, 2 sizes of skillets, a sauté pan and a shallow grill pan.
Heat distribution is seamless and even withstands oven temperatures of up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. While it isn’t dishwasher safe, it is ideal for different stove tops such as glass, electric, gas and ceramic.
- This is a beautiful set that you will be happy to display in your kitchen.
- The handles stay cool to the touch.
- The nonstick properties of the pan also extend to the outside.
- Heat distribution is stellar, making cooking a lot easier.
- It is made from hard-anodized material, which is harder than stainless steel.
- This comes with a triple-layer nonstick surface.
- The tempered glass lid is sturdy and allows you to check on your food easily.
- The pots and pans and the lids are safe in the oven in temperatures of up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- There were those who said the nonstick pan is a pain to work with as food sticks to its surface.
Here is a more affordable option that will not cut down the quality and number of useful cookware pieces to get. The set includes 2 different sizes of frying pans, one sauté pan that also includes a lid and 2 different sizes of saucepans. It also includes a sauce pot with a cover.
All the pieces are made from tri-ply stainless steel construction for durability and have the ability to withstand temperatures of up to 550 degrees, making them ideal to use in the oven. This can double as storage for leftovers as the pieces are freezer-safe as well.
- This set is inexpensive, but you are still getting a lot of pieces.
- Everything looks sleek and beautiful.
- The pots and pans seem sturdy. They hold up well against a high level of abuse.
- All pieces are dishwasher-safe.
- They are safe to be used in the oven and safe in the freezer as well.
- The set comes with a lifetime warranty.
- The handles are thick enough for easier gripping. They also stay cool to the touch.
- There were those who said the lid weight did not match that of the rest of the pots and pans.
Best Cookware for Glass-Top Stoves – Which One Should You Go For?
With these suggestions in mind, you might be wondering which of them is the best choice. All of them are highly recommended but it still boils down to personal preferences.
If you are looking for an entry-level and inexpensive cookware set, I suggest getting the T-Fal Cookware set and the Cook N Home 15 Piece Cookware Set. They are the best for the money because the price range for these cookware sets is more accessible. They are also great for small to medium-sized cooking needs.
If you're looking for a mid-range set of cookware that scores high on looks, Rachel Ray's sets are a great option.
For investment pieces that will surely last you a long time, the Cuisinart Stainless Cookware Set and the Simply Calphalon Cookware Set won’t fail you. You need to wash them by hand to make them last longer but even with not enough care, they should still look like new even after many uses – ideal for those who cook a lot or those who like to entertain at home.
The Cuisinart Multiclad Pro Stainless Steel 12-Piece Cookware Set is a set that has been built to last. With their sturdy construction and beautiful design, you will be happy to use this set in your kitchen for many more years to come.
Being two times harder than stainless steel, the Anolon Advanced Bronze Hard Anodized Nonstick 11-Piece Cookware Set will likely last you for a lifetime.
Our top choice is an Amazon's choice product as well (Duxtop Whole-Clad Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Set) where Duxtop's Whole-clad Tri-Ply Stainless Steel construction eliminates hot spots and ensures even heat distribution along the bottom and side walls of the cookware. The Duxtop Whole-Clad Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Cookware Set will not break the bank. This is the set to go for if you are on a tight budget and don’t fancy spending too much money on a cookware set. It doesn’t disappoint when it comes to quality though. It still has a good design and made from materials that can last for a long time.
Looking for more cookware and kitchen cooking staples? Make sure you check out our homepage to find more suggestions on products that will make cooking at home a lot easier and more convenient.